Job Title: Director of Engineering
Location: Tumbler Ridge, BC
Language of Work:English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The Director of Engineering leads the entire engineering department, that is, the front-end development and back-end development teams. The Director of Engineering is responsible for all equipment and facilities at the business’s site. They lead and manage key activities in the development departments inclusive of reliability engineering, and process automation in support of daily mine planning & design site/software development projects.
The Director of Engineering oversees all activities of the staff, builds reliability-engineering capabilities, manages the departmental operating budget, and supports any budget development for mine planning & design site/software investment projects. The Director of Engineering creates and maintains positive relationships with the internal and external stakeholders of the business in order to establish a consumer-focused culture.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leadership: The Director Engineering manages the entire engineering department overseeing resources, staffing, and the enhancement and maintenance of a first-class team. The Director Engineering is also in charge of the management and execution of Mine site planning and design software project plans and delivery commitments. He/she leads the Engineering teams, with a focus on technologies inclusive of Dispatch Systems (Wenco and Mine Star Terrain).
- The Director of Engineering is also in charge of the management of technical integrations and relationships with internal and external stakeholders. The Director Engineering is in charge of team building and provides technical leadership for the implementation of mine planning and design system enhancements.
- In his/her leadership capacity, the Director Engineering implements, and maintains mine planning and design site/software engineering standards and policies. He/she also acts as mentor to key personnel, assisting in the execution of duties upon request and readying these key personnel for the occupation of this position.
- Strategy: The Director Engineering drives the strategy, architecture, and utilization of the business’s mine plan and design software.
- Organizes activities for the implementation, and maintenance of projects necessary for mine site sustenance. In this capacity, the Director Engineering will also perform engineering design evaluations and ensure the completion of mine projects within resource, budget, and scheduling restraints.
- Collaboration: The Director Engineering plays a highly collaborative role where he works closely with the senior engineering leadership in defining long-term organizational mining strategies and roadmaps. In this collaboration he also coordinates and communicates development activities and priorities with the senior engineering leadership in order to ensure the successful completion of project objectives.
- The Director Engineering also helps the junior engineering teams in setting direction for the execution of project objectives to completion.
- Knowledge: The Director Engineering takes initiative to explore, evangelize, and implement mining technologies within the business in order to improve the business’s internal platforms as well as customer experience. He/she provides support and leadership to development departments, facilitating continuous evolution in both the frontend and backend development teams.
- The Director Engineering follows up on the business procedures, policies, and associated tools in order to develop processes that are more efficient and ensure conformity with the business’s policies and overall objectives.
- Other Duties: The Director Engineering will also perform similar duties as he/she deems fit for the proper execution of his/her duties and duties as delegated by the President.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Mining Operations, Engineering, and Project Development or any other relevant field. An equivalent of the same in working experience may also be considered.
- Minimum of 10 years of working experience in a senior mine engineering department, preferably as a Head of Engineering.
- Experience in various mining methods including surface and underground coal mining.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a business across organizational and geographical interfaces with specific expertise in managing complex, multi-disciplinary and geographically dispersed work teams.
- The Director Engineering will also have a proven ability and a track record in managing and delivering results for senior engineering leadership.
Skills and Abilities
- Communication Skills: The Director Engineering must possess exceptional communication skills both in written and in verbal form. Communication skills will be especially important in his/her leadership position, where clear conveyance of instructions and information down the line to junior engineer departments will play a significant role in determining the overall performance of the engineering department.
- Communication skills are imperative for the Director Engineering in his/her collaborative capacity, which will play a highly significant role in determining how efficiently cross-functional duties are executed.
- Leadership/People Skills: The Director Engineering must demonstrate natural leadership abilities, being able to influence and inspire a cross-functional team and influence senior engineering leadership. He/she will be a likable and relatable people person who is able to make meaningful and lasting connections with others. His/her people skills will inspire trust and confidence in others who will then readily follow in his/her insights and directives.
- Interpersonal Skills: The candidate must have certain personal attributes that make him/her suitable for the position. He/she will be consumer and result oriented, be highly organized, be highly analytical and procedural, be a creative and strategic thinker, and he/she will have the ability to work on multiple projects and meet tight deadlines.
- He/she will also have an insatiable thirst for knowledge, work comfortably in a cross-functional setting, work comfortably in a constantly evolving environment, and demonstrate the ability to stay calm in the face of uncertainty and stress.
- Technology/Software Skills: The candidate has to have outstanding technological skills and demonstrated computer skills. He will be highly skilled in operating in Mine Planning & Design Software, Dispatch Systems (Wenco & Mine Star Terrain), Microsoft packages, Cloud Management Platforms.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee transportation is provided.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.