Job Title: GIS Analyst
Location: Tumbler Ridge, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
As a GIS Analyst with Conuma Coal Resources Limited, you will work in the Regulatory and Environment department, supporting our operating mines, development projects and mine expansions. Working with other members of our team, you will help to deliver GIS and cartographic products to our internal clients.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
The GIS Analyst will support the activities of the Regulatory and Environmental department, as well as other departments and mine operations as required. Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Build and maintain GIS databases, and use GIS software to analyze the spatial and non-spatial information in them.
- Entering various types of data into GIS databases, such as text or spreadsheet files of latitude and longitude coordinates, tabular data, aerial or satellite imagery, and manual digitizing of paper maps or map images.
- Analyze GIS data to identify spatial relationships, or display the results of analyses; review GIS data for currency and accuracy; document the parameters and context of GIS data; perform geospatial modeling or spatial analysis; and create thematic maps for environmental and educational purposes.
- Analyze data and create maps for various internal and external reports and presentations.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree or Diploma in Environmental Science, Biology, Engineering, Applied GIS, Geography, Land Use Planning, or directly-related discipline.
- 2-5 years of GIS experience more specifically with the ESRI suite of software including: Desktop: ArcPro, ArcMap, ArcCatalog, Online: ArcGIS Enterprise (Portal), ArcGIS Server, SDE, ArcGIS Online, Web App Builder Apps: Collector for ArcGIS, Explorer, Survey123.
- A working knowledge of SQL syntax and the use of enterprise tools for relational database management is desired.
- Experience with Python 2.7 and 3.X.
- A working knowledge of government and environmental data in British Columbia provincial datasets.
- Demonstrated cartographic, data management and analytical skills. Knowledge of topology, projections, and cartographic principles.
- Experience with mobile data collection process, and management.
- Experience creating, publishing, and managing map services.
- Experience producing alignment sheets.
- Display attributes of a strong team player, eagerness to learn and grow, self-starter that takes initiative, versatile.
Skills and Abilities
- An understanding of cartographic, geoprocessing and spatial analysis tools within the ArcGIS environment.
- Ability to leverage data driven pages or other methods for automated map production workflows.
- Ability to follow best practices for data management (online and offline).
- Demonstrated cartographic capabilities that can efficiently convey the desired information in a map.
- Ability to produce web maps and applications from existing map formats.
Work Location / Travel
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
Conuma Coal Resources is an equal opportunity employer.