Job Title: Health & Security Administrator
Location: Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia (Wolverine Mine)
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a casual, on-call position
Reporting to the site Health & Safety Coordinator, the Health & Security Administrator is responsible for matters related to health, safety and site security.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Greet all visitors and employees in a professional and courteous manner.
- Conduct wellness checks with all employees, contractors, and visitors in accordance to Company procedures.
- Identify and report health and safety risks, accidents, incidents, injuries and property damage at the workplace.
- Respond to emergencies and administer competent first aid.
- Implement the claims management process.
- Compile and distribute information/data pertaining to incidents reported; accurately prepares other applicable correspondence, documents and reports as warranted.
- Compiles man-hours and number of people on site in compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies.
- Monitor and enforce work safe policies and procedures.
- Implementation of defined health standards at mine site(s); including drug and alcohol programs.
- Participate in drug and alcohol program as collector.
- Ensures site security as mandated by country, provincial, state and/or local regulatory codes; includes but is not limited to controlling access and egress to properties by employees, contractors, and others; monitoring all security breaches.
- Maintains a high level of Health and Safety performance through effective communication, monitoring and revision of standard work procedures.
- Willing to obtain a mine rescue certificate and participate in mine rescue activities
- Assist Health & Safety Coordinator as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- Minimum three (3) years first aid experience with OFA Level 3
- Valid OFA Level 3 certification
- Valid BC Driver’s License
- Previous experience in the mining industry or industrial setting is considered an asset
- Valid BC Mine Rescue certificate is considered an asset
Technical Competencies and Skills
- Computer skills include use of Microsoft Software packages; with better than average competence in spread sheets and relational database programs.
- Ability to act with integrity, good judgment, and discretion.
- Strong leadership capability.
- Passion and experience in achieving outstanding performance in the areas of Health, Safety and Environmental stewardship.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills enabling the writing and presentation of high-quality reports.
- Ability to communicate complex concepts and ideas in a clear and concise manner in both formal and informal contexts.
Leadership and Problem-Solving Capability
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Proven initiative and self-motivation.
- A positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and within established timelines.
- Ability to manage and prioritize assignments.
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision making and critical thinking skills.
- Lead by example to maintain high standards of conduct at workplace.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity skills.
- Be consistent and fair in decision making process.
- Proven conflict management skills.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transportation is provided from Tumbler Ridge, BC.
- Please be aware that no camp facilities are available. Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a workplace.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
Conuma Coal Resources is an equal opportunity employer.