Job Title: Loss Prevention Officer
Location: Northeast British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: Permanent and Casual Opportunities Available - 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off) 2x 30-minute breaks per shift
Reporting to the site Loss Prevention Coordinator, the Loss Prevention Officer is responsible for matters related to health, safety and site security
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet all visitors and employees in a professional and courteous manner
- Maintain a high level of health & safety performance
- Adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Respond to emergencies and administer competent first aid
- Willing to obtain a mine rescue certificate and participate in mine rescue activities
- Perform workplace monitoring and control access and egress of all mine site personnel and equipment
- Accurately complete reports
- Participate in drug and alcohol program as collector
- Assist the Loss Prevention Coordinator when needed.
- Other responsibilities as required
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum three (3) years first aid experience with OFA Level 3 or equivalent
- Valid OFA Level 3 certification or equivalent
- Valid BC Driver’s License
- Previous experience in the mining industry or industrial setting is considered an asset
- Valid BC Mine Rescue certificate is considered an asset
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work effectively as a team member with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication
- Strong organizational skills
- Good computer skills including Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook;
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge (Wolverine Mine and Brule Mine), Chetwynd (Brule Mine and Willow Creek Mine) and Mackenzie (Willow Creek Mine), BC
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.