Job Title: Millwright
Location: Wolverine Mine, Tumbler Ridge, BC.
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: 12-hour shifts, (4 days on / 4 days off) 2x 30-minute breaks per shift
Millwrights are responsible for inspecting, maintaining, repairing and/or replacing all of the plant machinery on site.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Install, repair, maintain, troubleshoot and adjust mechanical production process equipment.
- Perform preventative maintenance on a wide variety of industrial process systems.
Qualifications and Experience
- Inter-Provincial Red Seal Endorsement
- 4-5 years of related industrial experience, preferably in maintenance
- Completion of Grade 12
- Valid Driver’s License
Skills and Abilities
- Work effectively from drawings and manuals
- Manual dexterity
- Good vision (glasses are acceptable)
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good eye-hand coordination
- Able to concentrate on detailed work
Work Environments / Conditions
90% indoors of which 10% would be bench work, 10% outdoors (primary sizer area)
The millwrights spend about 70% of the day in the working areas of the plants, where floors are wet and slippery, as are catwalks, stairs and ladders. They are subject to fumes, dust, temperature changes (extreme when outdoors at primary sizer area or moving from plant to truck), uneven ground, and noise (above 80 db).
Critical Job Demands
- Stand, walk, climb carrying a tool bag for up to four hours at a time.
- Sustained awkward positions when inspecting or repairing machinery (reach, bend, twist, kneel).
- Constant use of arms and tools including situations requiring prolonged overhead work with an impact wrench with full arm extension.
- Manoeuvre heavy and awkward equipment manually a(lift, carry drag, push, pull and using assists such as cranes, comealongs, chain falls.
Equipment Used to Perform Job
- Hand tools e.g., impact wrench (18 lb), hose (10 lb), sockets (up to 35 lb), hydraulic jack (60 lb) and pipe wrench (35 lb).
- Pumps and parts (up to 120 lb), shackles (up to 80 lb).
- Tool bag (30 to 60 lb).
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.