Job Title: Mining Engineer (Drill & Blast)
Location: Wolverine Mine, Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Drill and Blast Planning and Scheduling in Accordance with Short Range and Long Range Mine Plan
- Perform Accurate Drill/Blast Pattern Design Duties on Time for all Drill and Blast Activities.
- Work Closely with Engineering and Operations Departments to Efficiently Schedule the Drilling and Blasting Requirements and Minimize Interruption of Other Mining Activity/Operations.
- Initiate a Program to Improve Wall Control Blasting in Various Types of Rock to Allow the Safe Mining of Steeper Walls.
- Ensure Drilling and Blasting Operations are Carried out in a Cost-Effective Manner. Develop and Implement Procedures that Optimize the Drill and Blast Process.
- Conduct Periodic Inspections of Drill/Blast Areas.
- Resolve Drill and Blast Technical Problems. Prepare, Monitor, and Update Production Data Associated with Drilling and Blasting Activities. Review Q/A Data, Coal Pickup Data, Digging Sheets, and Blast Videos to Determine Areas of Further Improvement.
- Liaise with Consultant and Specialist Suppliers as Required.
- Consult and Develop a Close Working Relationship with the Geotechnical Engineer in Order to Optimize Pit Wall Stability.
- Participate in Safety Investigations when Required. Actively Report Hazards, Incidents, and/or Near Misses. Promote Safety Within the Engineering Department.
- Communicate Openly and Effectively. Participate in Work-Based Team Activities.
- Attend and Contribute at Constructive and Effective Planning and Production Meetings.
- Integrate Drill and Blast Function for the Preparation of Monthly Reports and Budgets.
- Develop the Production Reports Related to Drill and Blast Activities.
- Preparation and Implementation of a Weekly Drill and Blast Plan in Conjunction with the Mining Engineers/Planners.
- Communicate Regularly with Other Departments.
- Other Duties as Assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- B.Sc. Mining Engineering or Equivalent.
- Eligible to Register as an EIT or Professional Engineer in BC (APEGBC)
- Minimum of 2-4 Years Previous Experience in Hard Rock Drill and Blast in Open Pit Mining
- Demonstrated Knowledge of Mine Planning Processes.
- Technical Knowledge of "Tie-In"/Charge Design.
Skills and Abilities
- High Degree of Proficiency in Mine Design Software (Previous Experience with MineSight is Favorably Regarded).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs.
- Knowledge of Blasting Modelling and Design Software such as; SHOT Plus, I-Blast, 2DBench, Blastware, and/or Aegis, would be considered an asset.
- Ability to Work Well in a Team Environment.
- Able to Adapt to Changing Priorities and Deadlines.
- Ability to Complete Work in a Timely Manner with Accuracy and Attention to Detail.
- Ability to Work Under Pressure and Maintain a Calm Focus During Hectic Periods.
- Excellent Interpersonal, Oral, and Written Communication Skills including Ability to Effectively Communicate and Interact with all Individuals with Integrity, Empathy, and Sincerity.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee Bus Transportation is available from Tumbler Ridge, BC.
- Please Be Aware No Camp Facilities are Available. Conuma Coal Believes in Supporting our Local Communities by Promoting Them as a Place for Our Employees to Call Home, Not Just a Work Place.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
Conuma Coal Resources is an equal opportunity employer.