Job Title: Plant Welder/Millwright
Location: Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia (Wolverine Mine)
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off) 2x 30-minute breaks per shift
Millwrights and Welders are responsible for inspecting, maintaining, repairing and/or replacing all of the plant machinery on site.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Install, repair, maintain, troubleshoot and adjust mechanical production process equipment.
- Perform preventative maintenance on a wide variety of industrial process systems.
- Ensure adherence to Conuma Coal’s workplace policies and standard work procedures for risk identification, risk assessment and risk control.
- Maintain a high level of Health and Safety performance through effective communication, monitoring and revision of standard work procedures.
- Identification and reporting of health and safety risks, accidents, incidents, injuries and property damage at the workplace.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- Inter-Provincial Red Seal Endorsement (Welder or Millwright, but preference given to Welder)
- 4-5 years of related industrial experience, preferably in maintenance
- Experience in a mining environment would be an asset
- Completion of Grade 12
- Valid Driver’s License
Technical Competencies and Skills
- Able to understand and interpret the blueprints to regulate work procedures.
- Able to complete work effectively from drawings and manuals.
- Able to use hand or power tools, fit, arrange and move stationary industrial machinery and powered equipment.
- Able to adjust machinery and repair or replace equipment as required.
- Strong manual dexterity.
- Strong hand-eye coordination.
- Ability to work effectively on a team or independently.
Leadership and Problem-Solving Capability
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Proven initiative and self-motivation.
- A positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and within established timelines.
- Ability to manage and prioritize assignments.
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision making and critical thinking skills.
- Lead by example to maintain high standards of conduct at workplace.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity skills.
- Be consistent and fair in decision making process.
- Proven conflict management skills.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transportation is provided from Tumbler Ridge, BC.
- Please be aware that no camp facilities are available. Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a workplace.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
Conuma Coal Resources is an equal opportunity employer.